We are licensed by the Science Council to award CSciTeach to eligible members. If you are not yet a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry, start an application for membership today.
CSciTeach is awarded across all sectors of science teaching, from primary schools to higher education institutions to museums.
To be eligible to apply for CSciTeach you must:
- hold a Royal Society Chemistry accredited degree, or equivalent
- hold a masters level qualification in education or pedagogy, or have a minimum of four years’ appropriate experience of teaching science, including additional responsibilities, over the past two years
- provide evidence of meeting the required competence standards in order to demonstrate your impact on science teaching and learning
- be a Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC) or Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC)
A key requirement for holding chartered status is that you must demonstrate your commitment to continually maintaining and updating your professional expertise and competence. After being awarded CSciTeach, you will be expected to revalidate your status annually by providing your CPD record for formal review.
Your CPD should be a mixture of learning activities relevant to current or future practice and should normally include activities in at least three of the following categories:
- Work based learning
- Professional activity
- Formal or educational
- Self-directed learning
Apply for CSciTeach
The CSciTeach application form and guidance have been updated to include the new competencies published by the Science Council earlier this year. If you have yet to start preparing your CSciTeach application, please use the updated documents available for download below.
Support for your application
It is important that you identify a supporter for your application, who should be a close colleague that can verify the statements made on your application form. You also need to identify an independent referee, who should be a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry or another professional body.
Please note the RSC retain a £22 administration fee for payments for Chartered Science Teacher. The remainder of the fee is transferred to the Science Council.
- Application fee of £73.35
- Retention of CSciTeach is £73.35 per year, paid along with membership renewals
Information for supporters
If you are a supporter of a member’s application for CSciTeach status you will be confirming that the information they have provided is true and accurate to the best of your knowledge.
You should work closely with the applicant and be confident in their abilities, competence and commitment to professional development. You should offer advice to the applicant in preparing their application and help them to identify suitable examples of activities and experiences for their professional review.