If you work in a school or college in the UK or Ireland, we can help you organise your own event to benefit local teachers or technicians, develop key leadership skills and build a network of colleagues you can share ideas and best practice with.
In response to Covid-19, we are currently only accepting applications for events to take place from January 2021 onwards, unless they are held online.
What funding and support is available?
- Get up to £700 (€750) per application to help with event costs and up to one day of teaching cover for event planning.
- Get advice from your local education coordinator to help you organise your event.
- Publicise your event through the Royal Society of Chemistry’s newsletters and social media channels.
Who can apply?
- You can apply to the fund if you’re a teacher of chemistry or science technician of students ages 11-18 in the UK or Ireland.
- Your school needs to be signed up with Teach Chemistry and your proposed event needs to take place in the UK or Ireland.
- We’d particularly like to hear from you if you work at a school facing challenging circumstances or a school in a rural area.
- You don’t need to be a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry to apply.
Is your event eligible for funding?
You’ll need to show that:
- The funding will enable you to run a new event or, if the event has run before, that funding will allow you to do something novel with it.
- Your event will be open to staff at local schools and free for them to attend, benefitting at least five teachers across at least three schools*.
- Your event will focus on improving the teaching of chemistry and/or fostering supportive, effective science departments.
- You will evaluate your event to understand its impact - with guidance from the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Your local education coordinator will have an open invitation to attend the event so they can chat to attendees about how the Royal Society of Chemistry supports schools.
*We can be flexible here for very rural schools. We can also help with advertising your event to local schools.
Restrictions on funding
- Funding is restricted to £700 (€750) per school, per calendar year.
- A maximum of £300 (€330) can be used for teaching cover so that you can plan the event.
- Funding must be used for teacher-facing events.