You could get up to £700 (€750) to fund your event and cover costs for your planning time.
If you work in a school or college in the UK or Ireland, we can help you organise your own event to benefit local teachers or technicians, develop key leadership skills and build a network of colleagues you can share ideas and best practice with.
What funding and support is available?
The Chemistry Teaching Event Empowerment Fund offers both financial and non-financial support:
- Get up to £700 (€750) per application to help with event costs and up to one day of teaching cover for event planning.
- Get advice from your local Education Coordinator to help you organise your event.
- Publicise your event through the Royal Society of Chemistry’s newsletters and social media channels.
Who can apply?
You can apply to the fund if you're a teacher of chemistry or science technician of students ages 11-18 in the UK or Ireland, no matter what career stage you're at. Your school needs to be signed up with Teach Chemistry and your proposed event needs to take place in the UK or Ireland.
We'd particularly like to hear from you if you work at a school facing challenging circumstances or a school in a rural area.
You don't need to be a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry to apply.
Is your event eligible for funding?
When you apply to the Chemistry Teaching Event Empowerment Fund, you'll need to show that:
- Funding will enable you to run a new event or, if the event has run before, that funding will allow you to do something novel with it.
- Your event will be open to staff at local schools and free for them to attend, benefitting at least five teachers across at least three schools*.
- Your event will focus on improving the teaching of chemistry and/or fostering supportive, effective science departments.
- You will evaluate your event to understand its impact - with guidance from the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Your local RSC Education Coordinator will have an open invitation to attend the event so they can chat to attendees about how the Royal Society of Chemistry supports schools.
*We can be flexible here for very rural schools. We can also help with advertising your event to local schools.
Restrictions on funding
- Funding is restricted to £700 (€750) per school, per calendar year.
- A maximum of £300 (€330) can be used for teaching cover so that you can plan the event.
- Funding must be used for teacher-facing events.