Test your students’ analytical skills with these Schools’ Analyst past papers covering techniques such as titrations, thin layer chromatography and UV-visible spectroscopy
The topics covered in each paper are:
- Measure the acidity level of sprite using an acid base titration method
- Find the iron content of ‘Irn-Bru’ using a spectrophotometric procedure
- Determine the presence of a range of organic components using thin layer chromatography on both products.
East Anglia region
- Determine the weight of vitamin C in multi-vitamin tablets using UV-visible spectroscopy and a titration
- Determine the weight of zinc in the same tablets by inductively coupled plasma emission spectroscopy
North West region
- Use atomic absorption spectroscopy spectroscopy and UV-visible spectroscopy to determine the concentration of copper in a drinking water sample
Please note: these experiments were designed to be carried out in an undergraduate laboratory. Therefore if you are adapting them for use in a school you must always comply with your employer’s procedures and in some cases may decide that a particular activity is inappropriate in your situation. Further information on Health and Safety should be obtained from reputable sources such as CLEAPSS in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and, in Scotland, SSERC.