Build an atom from scratch, using protons, neutrons, and electrons. Test different combinations to produce ions and unstable elements.
- Simulation | HTML, Size 0.95 mb
PhET sims are fun, interactive, research-based simulations of physical phenomena developed by the PhET™ project at the University of Colorado. Conversion to HTML5 and tablet compatibility supported by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Sample Learning Goals:
- Use the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons to draw a model of the atom, identify the element, and determine the mass and charge.
- Predict how addition or subtraction of a proton, neutron, or electron will change the element, the charge, and the mass.
- Use the element name, mass, and charge to determine the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons.
- Define proton, neutron, electron, atom, and ion.
- Generate an isotopic symbol for an atom, given the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons.