Practice identifying ions in samples or using chromatographic techniques with these contextualised problems.
The topics covered in each paper are:
- Determination of lithium by flame emission
- Determination of lead ions by dithizone
- Chromatography of food additives
- Determination of the dye concentration in a sports drink using UV-vis spectrophotometry
- Thin layer chromatography of food colourings
- Chromatographic analysis of petroleum hydrocarbons in soil
Please note: these experiments were designed to be carried out in an undergraduate laboratory. Therefore if you are adapting them for use in a school you must always comply with your employer’s procedures and in some cases may decide that a particular activity is inappropriate in your situation. Further information on Health and Safety should be obtained from reputable sources such as CLEAPSS in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and, in Scotland, SSERC.