Review your learners’ understanding of key ideas, words and phrases relating to acids and bases
This resource features three different versions of a worksheet on acids and bases: scaffolded, partially scaffolded and unscaffolded. Use the worksheets to identify learners’ knowledge gaps and misconceptions once you have taught this part of the curriculum. Find out more about how to use this resource or download the worksheets below.
These Acids and bases worksheets cover the following topics:
- the pH scale
- the pH of acidic and alkaline solutions
- common acids and alkalis
- general word equations for the reactions of an acid with a metal, metal oxide, metal hydroxide and a metal carbonate
- chemical formulae of common laboratory acids
- types of salts produced from reactions with hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid and nitric acid
- universal and litmus indicators.
If learners successfully answer questions on these topics, they can attempt the extension questions. These cover:
- word equations for the reactions between an acid and a metal, metal oxide, metal hydroxide or metal carbonate
- symbol equations for the reactions between an acid and a metal, metal oxide, metal hydroxide or metal carbonate.
Independent learning and metacognition
The ‘What do I understand?’ page is common to all worksheets. Learners are encouraged to develop independent learning skills and can use their reflection as a guide for revision. The feedback will also help you to identify areas where a whole class needs attention.
The teacher guidance provides model answers for each worksheet, plus guidance on learners’ common misconceptions. Learners can use the model answers to self- or peer assess.
- Neutralise student difficulties with this Acids and bases: creating solutions CPD article from Education in Chemistry
- Make lessons on acids and bases inclusive to all with these ideas for supporting learners with sensory and motor impairments.
- Find even more resources to support teaching Acids and bases in the classroom resources bundle from our Teacher PD course.
- Add context and inspire your learners with our short career videos showing how chemistry is Making a difference.
Acids and Bases | student worksheet | fully scaffoldedHandout | PDF, Size 0.28 mb
Acids and Bases | student worksheet | partially scaffoldedHandout | PDF, Size 0.31 mb
Acids and Bases | student worksheet | unscaffoldedHandout | PDF, Size 0.25 mb
Acids and Bases | teacher guidance and answersHandout | PDF, Size 0.35 mb
Acids and Bases | student worksheet | fully scaffoldedEditable handout | Word, Size 0.13 mb
Acids and Bases | student worksheet | partially scaffoldedEditable handout | Word, Size 0.13 mb
Acids and Bases | student worksheet | unscaffoldedEditable handout | Word, Size 0.13 mb
Acids and Bases | teacher guidance and answersEditable handout | Word, Size 0.15 mb
Review my learning worksheets | 14–16 years
- 2Currently reading
Acids and bases
No comments yet