Quizzes are engaging for classes and an excellent way to check understanding
This resource accompanies the Education in Chemistry article Teaching organic synthesis at post-16, where you will find advice and ideas to help learners master this challenging topic and combat misconceptions.
- Apply IUPAC nomenclature rules to a range of organic compounds.
- Recall reagents and conditions in single- and multi-stage organic pathways.
- Determine correct structures as intermediates or products in reaction sequences.
How to use
This multiple-choice quiz has been designed to be similar to the questions learners aged 16–18 years may face in examinations, but has a low barrier for participation. The quiz can be used to check understanding after completing the organic chemistry topics and for revision.
Further organic synthesis questions can be used to build on the answers and provide a challenge. For example, ask your learners to draw the displayed formulae of named compounds, give them atom economy calculations to complete and mechanisms to draw. Use the questions to start discussions with your class surrounding the overlapping topics and their applications, including careers, too.
Quiz, for age range 16–18
Use this multiple-choice quiz to engage post-16 classes and revise key organic chemistry topics.
Download the quiz as MS PowerPoint or pdf and the teacher notes and answers as MS Word or pdf.
The questions in the PowerPoint can be displayed on a screen or copied and pasted into an interactive quizzing tool. Exam specifications differ, so each question slide includes tags with topics in the notes section. There is also a feedback prompt for each question. All questions and notes can be edited.
Questions cover a wide range of topics including: alcohols, addition, aldehyde, alkanes, alkenes, amides, amines, benzene, bonding, carbonyls, carboxylic acids, electrophiles, electrophilic addition, esters, formulae, free radicals, green chemistry, halogenoalkanes, Markovnikov, monomers, multiple representations, nitriles, nomenclature, nucleophilic addition elimination, nucleophilic substitution, oxidation, polymers, reaction types, reactivity and reduction.
- Refresh your own understanding with the RSC on-demand carbon chemistry CPD course.
- Watch Qualitative tests for organic functional groups before carrying out the investigative practical experiment.
- Highlight inspirational chemists such as Katty, the RSC’s 2020 Chemical Sciences Apprentice of the Year, who monitors the levels of organic materials in drinking and wastewater.
- Use the Rules for naming hydrocarbons lesson plan to review hydrocarbon nomenclature in your class.
- Revise functional groups, isomerism and more using the Organic chemistry starter for 10 with your 16–18 learners.
Post-16 organic synthesis quizQuiz | PowerPoint, Size 1.26 mb
Post-16 organic synthesis quizQuiz | PDF, Size 1.13 mb
Post-16 organic synthesis teacher notesEditable handout | Word, Size 0.46 mb
Post-16 organic synthesis teacher notesHandout | PDF, Size 0.2 mb
No comments yet