Review your learners’ understanding of key ideas, words and phrases relating to the particle model
This resource features three different versions of a worksheet on the particle model: scaffolded, partially scaffolded and unscaffolded. Use the worksheets to identify learners’ knowledge gaps and misconceptions after teaching or before revisiting these topics. Find out more about how to use this resource or download the worksheets below.
The Particle model worksheets cover the following topics:
- states of matter
- arrangement of particles in solids, liquids and gases
- names of state changes
- relative energy of particles in solids, liquids and gases
- changes in the kinetic energy when substances change state
- melting point and boiling point
- using melting point and boiling point data to deduce the state of a substance at a given temperature.
If learners successfully answer questions on these topics, they can attempt the extension question. This requires learners to use melting and boiling point data to complete a table identifying the state of a substance at different temperatures.
Independent learning and metacognition
The ‘What do I understand?’ page is common to all worksheets. Learners are encouraged to develop independent learning skills and can use their reflection as a guide for revision. The feedback will also help you to identify areas where a whole class needs attention.
The teacher guidance provides model answers for each worksheet, plus guidance on learners’ common misconceptions. Learners can use the model answers to self- or peer assess.
- Find ideas, activities and resources for your classroom in this Education in Chemistry CPD article How to teach states of matter and particle theory.
- Evaluate the particle model of matter and further develop and use models in your teaching with these video resources.
- Revisit prior learning to address misconceptions with this lesson plan and resources looking at what happens when a substance changes state.
- Add context and inspire your learners with our short career videos showing how chemistry is Making a difference.
Particle model | student worksheet | fully scaffoldedHandout | PDF, Size 0.42 mb
Particle model | student worksheet | partially scaffoldedHandout | PDF, Size 0.47 mb
Particle model | student worksheet | unscaffoldedHandout | PDF, Size 0.46 mb
Particle model | teacher guidance and answersHandout | PDF, Size 0.51 mb
Particle model | student worksheet | fully scaffoldedEditable handout | Word, Size 0.22 mb
Particle model | student worksheet | partially scaffoldedEditable handout | Word, Size 0.24 mb
Particle model | student worksheet | unscaffoldedEditable handout | Word, Size 0.24 mb
Particle model | teacher guidance and answersEditable handout | Word, Size 0.25 mb
Review my learning worksheets | 14–16 years
- 4Currently reading
No comments yet